The two English versions of the University seal may only be used on licensed merchandise as described at Trademarks and Licensing.
Departmental uses of the University seal include:
- Corporate seal: Embossed, either in a document itself, or in gold foil that is affixed to a document. The Chancellor must authorize any use of the University seal in this manner.
- Diplomas and graduation materials: The multi-color version of the University seal may be used on diplomas approved by the University Registrar and on graduation announcements available through Student Stores. UNC Creative may also authorize use of the University seal on other materials related to the granting of degrees.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts for work performed at the University are embossed with the University seal, under the authority of the University Registrar.
- University accomplishments: The University seal may be used on documents and in other media that indicate accomplishment in or on behalf of the University. In such cases the seal must be printed in black ink or in the color in which the rest of the document is printed.
- University Library bookplates: The University seal may be used as a mark of ownership.